Wednesday 30 December 2015

Resolutions or Just Get My Act Together ?

I think I need to skip making resolutions this New Year. I go in every year with gusto and the best intentions and then I get to the end of the year and feel bad because I didn’t manage to keep to my resolutions. So this year, I think I shall try and simplify things and cheer myself on by thinking ‘Come on Jeannie, just do better’.

Last year’s resolutions included a few practical items along with some professional and personal things. I was determined to get my British Nationality and my British Driver’s License. Got one out of two so not a complete failure (I am a Brit now - hurrah). The elusive driver’s license remains a goal for if I am to stay in the UK, I need wheels to enable me to consider a move out of London. But I refuse to say I will definitely get that license in 2016 – it has got to be because I want it bad enough.

Professionally well that was hit and miss. From the routine of doing a regular blog (fail) to finding and doing something new and exciting (tried but no cigar), I can’t say it was a great year for me. I have very itchy feet at the moment in terms of my businesses and have no regrets about trying new things but still searching for the one ‘thing’ that makes me happy and makes some money.

So what is that ‘better’ I'm looking for? I'm not very sure but I do know I need to get a few things on track and keep to them. The first is getting fit which I say every year but don’t necessary admit to it in writing. Well here we go and we’ll start off by buying a Fitbit with a gift card I've received. Watching my diet and generally moving more needs to be on the agenda.

I also need to be better getting my business ambitions right. One positive lesson I did learn this year was the art of saying ‘no’ and that felt very empowering. If it isn't right, just say ‘no’ and move on. I shall continue doing that. This new year I've also got to learn to also say ‘yes’ and ‘why not’ before judging something isn't for me. So for those people who have reached out about new business ideas and opportunities, I may just say let’s go for it – nothing ventured etc. And anyone who has an idea, happy to hear all about it.

So in 2016, I will try to do better and get my act together. I will certainly tell my family and friends how much they mean to me and I will keep my spirits high no matter what. I wish all of you a very Happy and Healthy New Year and may you all have a go at doing better. It is something we can all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment